Monday 12 August 2013

Circle Journal: Mandy and Heather

Here are the next two pages for the Circle Journal project.

Based on a sketch from Make It From Your Heart Volume 2
Mandy's scrapbook centres on her children's school days. I had the honour of making her daughter's Grade 1 page. This was a real treat for me as I don't often have the opportunity to do girl pages!

This page is an example of how you can use off-theme products on a page. I did use a stamp set from the Scholastic Workshops on the Go kit and Varsity Alphabet stamps, which are both school themed. But the paper line is La Belle Vie and I also  used additional off theme stamps: the chicken wire stamp from the Distressed Backgrounds set and a sentiment from Sweet Moments.

The lined paper from La Belle Vie gives the page a notebook feel and provides a spot for journaling.

Instead of using primary colours, which are a mainstay on pages I make about school days, I made La Belle Vie Pink, Outdoor Denim the stars against the neutral backdrop of Saddle cardstock.

With the help of a little bling, because it is a girly page after all, and Tiny Type Epoxy alphabet, the page was finished off with those small details that bring memories to life.

Sketch from Even More Scrapping!
The theme for Heather's book is places to visit in Durham. She asked for a page about an interesting place with spots for photos to be added later. Her intention is to visit all the places and add her own photos. What a great idea for this project!

The place I selected was the Bowmanville Valley. It's one of my favourite places in the autumn when the salmon are running.

The first think you'll likely notice about this page is that it doesn't feature CTMH papers. The papers are from Crate Paper and the cardstock for the photo mats is Bazzil. But the background cardstock is Desert Sand and the yellow cardstock is Crème Brulee. This is a perfect example of how CTMH colours coordinate with paper lines from other companies.

I've been waiting for a special page to use my Arbour Wooden Shapes and was so happy to finally open the package. I found the wooden shapes took the inks very easily--I just swiped them with my ink pads (Barn Red and Autumn Terracotta)--and dried fairly quickly. To create a two-tone effect on the maple leaf, I first swiped the entire leaf with Autumn Terracotta and while it was still wet, swiped the edges with Barn Red. The red bled into the orange a bit and gave a nice look to the leaf. I finished it off by colouring the stem with a New England Ivy marker.

Here's a tip: When adhering wooden shapes to each other or to your layout, use a strong adhesive like Liquid Glass.

Keyboard Uppercase is one of my favourite letter stamps and is excellent for creating subtitles, like the one on the edge of the small journaling spot. The main title was created with Old World Alphabet.

Again a little bling and a Canvas Badge Button (stamped with an image from the Honeycomb stamp set) finish off the page.

My scrapbook club is about halfway done the Circle Journal project and we're having so much fun with it, we're already looking ahead to the next one!

Watch for the next Circle Journal blog post--it will be on Scrapbooking Tips and Techniques!

No comments:

Post a Comment