Wednesday 10 July 2013

Circle Journal: Lori

Lori's idea was to have a scrapbook filled with places for the armchair traveller to go. Places the contributors have visited and loved. As soon as Lori revealed her theme, I knew exactly what I wanted to create. A page about the place my family came from: Terceira, Azores, Portugal.


For me the page is special, because it documents a place I dearly love.

It's just a simple layout, but the embellishments give it interest. The clip at the top pulls out an 8.5" x 11" sheet, hidden in a pocket behind the layout, containing extensive journaling. The colour scheme is also simple: Blue (Pacifica and Indian Corn Blue), white (Colonial White) and red (Cranberry). These colours are evocative of Portuguese culture and are perfect for a layout about an island.

Except for the patterned paper (which could easily be created with stamps!), all products are from Close To My Heart. Many of them are now on the While Supplies Last area of my website, so get them while you can!

The title was stamped with Old World Alphabet which is one of the E-size stamp sets being discontinued. You have until July 31st to order it!

Ink-sprayed flower
To create the three embellishment clusters, I used paper flowers, Milepost Shapes and Canvas Badge Buttons.

The large blue flower was originally white. I sprayed it using a CTMH spray pen, Indian Corn Blue ink and a little Pearl Paint for shimmer.

To add a little more colour to the layout, the Cranberry ink used in the title is repeated on the Milepost Shapes.

Cranberry ink on Milepost Shapes
Canvas Badge Buttons are perfect for stamping! The heart stamps are from the Whoo's Your Valentine stamp set. (Get it out of your stash! It's not just good for Valentine's!)

I had a bit of trouble with the hydrangea. I knew I wanted one on the layout--they are an iconic flower of the Azores--but I didn't  have a hydrangea stamp nor could I find one anywhere.

Finally, the night I was putting the layout together, I tried clustering the tiniest paper flowers on a cardstock circle. I spray-inked it with the same Indian Corn Blue ink as the large flower. When it was dry, I fluffed up the flower edges a bit and finished it off by stamping leaves in Pear.

Cluster small flowers to create a hydrangea
The result was much nicer than a flat hydrangea stamp!

I'm partial to simple layouts to being with, but I'm really happy with the way this one turned out! It has inspired me to create layouts for myself about this special place.

I hope Lori likes it and gets the chance to travel to the Azores some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment